Friday, April 10, 2009

Shepherds Sage Bread




"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."

John 10:11







This Easter I contemplated what type of recipe to submit. I considered several favorite desserts, twisted wreath breads with red eggs baked in them, and rolls in the shape of a lamb. However, none of these things reflected what my heart feels at this sacred season. So it is that I chose to share a simple shepherds bread, for Christ is the good shepherd, who indeed did lay down his life for all of us.

1 1/4 cups water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cups flour
4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Pour all wet ingredients into bread machine baking pan. Measure all other ingredients except yeast into baking pan. Sprinkle yeast over dry ingredients, being careful not to get yeast wet. I only use the mixing cycle on my machine which takes about 30 minutes. When the mixing is finished and the machine has stopped, take the dough out and put it in a bowl that has been sprayed with Pam and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with Pam. Let rise until double. Punch down dough and then shape in a ball and put on a baking stone or cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with corn meal. Cover with the plastic wrap again and let raise until doubled. Remove wrap and bake in a 375 degree oven.

The sage just gives this bread a gentle herb flavor and is not overpowering. I also love the subtle flavor of the olive oil.

Mixing Tip: Spray your bread machine pan with Pam and the dough hardly sticks to the sides at all. Consequently, I think it gets a better kneading.












-Debbie -

No comments: