Sunday, April 19, 2009

Brother Dave's Potatoes




Dutch Oven Potatoes With A Sweet Personality!

The surprising ingredient- Granny Smith Apples
















My brother is one of the best dutch oven cooks I know! He has worked in the scouting program on and off for over thirty years and in that time, he never cancelled a camping trip. His word is his bond and if a trip was planned they camped. Sometimes they had to change the place, but they camped. The world is a better place because of his caring, gentle heart.

8-10 lbs. new red potatoes
2 sliced or diced onions (red are best because they adds color and are so sweet)
3 to 4 granny smith apples
4-6 coarse grated carrots (I also like to use matchstick carrots that are store cut)
1/2 to 1 lb. bacon

12 " dutch oven

During warm weather, about 18 briquettes on top and 10 briquettes on bottom but the day I cooked I needed to use more because it was cold.

Cut up bacon in small pieces (cold, partially frozen bacon is easiest to cut)

Cook bacon in dutch oven until done. If the bacon is very fatty, pour off part of the grease. Add sliced potatoes, sliced or diced onions, coarse grated carrots, quartered or sliced granny smith apples.

Salt and pepper. ( I like to drizzle a little extra bacon fat on top of potatoes)


Every once in a while, turn the dutch oven a quarter turn. Do not lift the lid until you smell the potatoes. There is no need to open the pot and lose heat until you smell the potatoes.
DO NOT OVERCOOK!

Have fun with this "frizzle" recipe. I love to see what comes out of my big black pot and I hope you have fun with this one.

Caution: Always use great care using briquettes. I use an industrial size old cookie sheet covered with foil. I also place old pie tins under my charcoal lighter to hold the coals. After you are finished, dump the ashes in a metal pail and dowse with water until totally out. Or dump coals on aluminum foil and drown with water and then roll everything up in foil. Just make sure your coals are TOTALLY out!

Have Fun! - Debbie-

No comments: