Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Baked Apple Omelet




*********An Omelet With A Fruity Tang! *********

Most omelets use cheese, tomatoes, onions, or peppers but this delightful little omelet uses none of those items. Instead, you add grated apples ,lemon juice and zest to give this omelet a sweet and fruity taste. It is mellow and delicious! Give it a try. It came from a collection of Shaker recipes.

4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup apple, grated (I like Granny Smith)
1/2 tsp lemon peel, grated (fresh)
1 tbsp. lemon juice (fresh is best)
2 Tbs. butter

Beat eggs with salt. Blend in sugar and flour. Beat until smooth and blend in sour cream and milk. Stir in apple, lemon peel, and juice. Pour into hot, buttered frying pan. (I like cast iron skillets) Bake at 450 degrees in oven until fluffy and brown, about 7 to 10 minutes depending on your oven. Serve immediately.

* It is important that your skillet be very hot and have the butter melted in it before you add your eggs mixture. I put my skillet in the oven to warm as I make the omelet mixture and then melt the butter in it right before I add egg mixture.

-Debbie -

No comments: