Monday, March 30, 2009

Sheep Camp Cocoa






Back to Basics Cocoa







I grew up in Idaho spending many wonderful hours sitting around our 17 ft. long cabin table with my brothers, sisters, and cousins making "Sheep Camp Cocoa". We'd all mix up our basic chocolate concentrate and then mom would call out, "Who needs hot water". She'd walk around with an old tea kettle pouring hot water into our cups. We'd add a whole handful of mini marshmallows and we were in "Cocoa Heaven". I treasure that memory and it still warms my soul. When you make "Sheep Camp Cocoa" you are concocting your own special recipe and not relying on a company gourmet mix. Although we didn't add extracts, I have been experimenting with adding a drop of various extracts and I've like the flavor of the cocoa. I've had good results with vanilla, peppermint and almond extracts. I look forward to trying orange and raspberry. Cinnamon sticks are also fabulous for stirring your concoction as they add great flavor and if you are lucky and get a good piece, you can sip your chocolate through a cinnamon straw.

So, get out you little mug and make your own special recipe for "Sheep Camp Cocoa"!




I really like the Nestle cocoa powder. There really is a difference in cocoa powders so find one that you like.

Basically, you just need cocoa powder, sugar, canned milk, hot water and a tiny drop of extract.


I add about 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and about 3 teaspoons of sugar. My cup was about an 8 oz. cup. When I remember, I also add a dash of salt. Mix all of this together.




Add about 2 teaspoons of canned evaporated milk. If you can't get all of the dry ingredients incorporated into the liquid, add another teaspoon of milk. Mix really well until all of the dry ingredients and wet are mixed and there are no lumps. This is important because it is hard to get the dry ingredients mixed in after more liquid is added.






When well mixed, it should look something like this, smooth and glossy.






Add about 12 to 14 more teaspoons of canned milk and mix well.

You'll need to experiment to see how much milk you like in your cocoa so the above is just a suggestion.





Add hot water!

Note: You may also add hot milk if you'd prefer. If you choose to use the hot milk, you probably won't need the 12 to 14 teaspoons of evaporated milk in the above step.

I just like the richness that the evaporated milk gives.



Add a drop of extract and stir well. Finally, add lots of mini marshmallows because they are the best part of any hot chocolate!

Additional Notes: As kids, we used Nesquik as our base but I bought a jar recently and it just wasn't the same as it used to be. I remembered it as being a fine powder but now it is very grainy and I didn't really care for the flavor. I had better results with cocoa powder and sugar. You may also use "Splenda" if you are watching you sugar intake.


I hope you find comfort and joy in your own special little cup of cocoa!

-Debbie-

No comments: