Thursday, March 26, 2009

Shepherds Pie


The Shepherd

Little lambs upon the hill
Bleating in the night so still
Go your way and do not fear
A tender shepherd hovers near.




I've always been fascinated by the life of a sheepherder. I have relatives who were herders and grew up on stories of them battling grizzly bears and wolves to protect the sheep. My Aunt would take my cousins and go out and stay on the range and then return to town. I wondered about the lonely nights, starry skies, rain, wind, and sunrises that my uncle saw alone. It must take a special kind of man to year in and year out stay and protect his sheep. I especially remember how they talked about the lambing in April and how concerned he was about the cold and the new little lambs. This simple little recipe is one my mom made often when I was young and I share it in tribute to the Sheepherder.

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 can tomato soup 10 oz.
1 sm can tomato sauce 8 oz.
1 can drained sliced green beans

10 peeled potatoes
1 egg
grated Cheddar cheese

Brown gr. beef with onion and drain off grease
Add tomato soup, tomato sauce and beans to pan and mix

Boil cut up potatoes, drain, dry off excess water
Add a little butter salt and pepper
add one egg and whip (egg helps the potatoes to float on top)

Put gr. beef mixture in a 9x13 inch pan or a casserole dish
and then cover with whipped potatoes, grated cheddar cheese and dots of butter
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.



I had fun making our Shepherds Pie in this very old cast iron "Scotch Pot". My best guess is that this pot is about the 1850 era. It very possibly could have hung over a pioneer campfire with their stew or oatmeal. It is scratched up inside with the many scrapings of spoons over the years. As Greg and I dished our dinner from this pot (I cleaned it really well) I wondered who else had enjoyed their meals from it. Maybe even an old sheepherder!

-Debbie -

No comments: