Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Coconut Chicken & Pineapple Yams



Not Old and True,


But Good and New!








Over the weekend, I did some babysitting at my daughter's home. When the children were all asleep, I entertained myself with her cookbooks. I found this recipe in a collection of her husbands relatives favorite recipes. We made it tonight and really enjoyed the new and interesting flavor.

1 container pina colada yogurt
4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup coconut, shredded

Dip chicken breasts in yogurt. Make sure chicken is completely coated. Then mix coconut and bread crumbs together. Roll dipped chicken in coconut mixture. Place chicken in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.




Since it was a hot night, I cooked our chicken and yams in the box oven. I used about 17 coals and cooked the chicken about an hour.






Pineapple Yams


I went through my recipe collection looking for a recipe that I felt would go with the coconut chicken. This yam recipe was just right and the flavors really blended well. It is a little of a "hooker by crooker" recipe so you will need to taste as you go to get the right amount of spices
that you like.

1 lb. yams (I think it was about 1 1/2 cups of yams)
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch allspice
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 Tbsp. crushed pineapple

or

1/2 cup orange juice and
1/2 tsp. grated orange rind

Boil yams until tender and then skin and mash the pulp. Add the spices (to taste), honey, egg and either pineapple or orange juice. Whip everything until light and fluffy. Pour into a greased casserole dish and bake about 45 minutes.

Wishing you sunny skies and fair breezes.

- Debbie -

P.S. For instructions and directions for making a box oven, go to the Labels and click on Box Oven.

1 comment:

appetersen said...

Debbie, you are so brave to break out the yams before Thanksgiving! Looks delicious...