Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kentucky Rice Casserole




















A New Festive Side Dish!


My friend just gave me this recipe and suggested we use it as a side dish for a Christmas Dinner we are planning. When she told me the ingredients, I was a little skeptical but I made it today and it was delicious. A very unusual combining of rice, mushroom soup, onion and of all things, pecans.
However, both my husband and I loved the flavor and it was moist and fluffy.

1 cup uncooked rice (do not use quick-cooking rice)
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1 10 0z. can beef broth (I used a 14 oz can of Swansons beef broth and it worked fine)
1 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and pour into an ungreased 6 x 10 baking dish. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the center is just set. Do not overcook.

Serves 8.



Note: Can be prepared early in the day and baked when ready to serve. Cream of chicken soup may be substituted for the cream of mushroom.

Happy Cooking!

-Debbie-

No comments: