Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baggie Omelets


Omelets Your Way!

An Adventure In Cooking!

Soooo Fun!







This is one yummy breakfast and can be made on your kitchen stove, a Camp Chief, Coleman stove, or even over the campfire. Really, this is one of my favorite new ways to cook an omelet.

So, lets gets going with instructions.

First: Buy good quality baggies. I bought them at the dollar store last year for girls camp and some of them broke so we had to double bag all of the omelets. It is more cost effective to just buy Hefty bags or another good quality and use one bag. I used quart size but I know some people just use sandwich size. I like the bigger ones because there is more to grasp with my tongs when I'm taking them out of the water.

Second: Assemble all of your omelet ingredients in bowls so that each person can put in what they like. I always wash the outside of my egg shells off before I use them. Just rise under warm water and dry.



It 's a good idea to write each persons name on the outside of the bag with a permanent marker so if you have several bags cooking at the same time you know who is the owner of each omelet.

Third: Crack the eggs into the baggie and add the other ingredients you like. I usually allow about 2 eggs per person. It really helps to work in teams here and have one person hold the bag while the other breaks the eggs and puts in the bag. Just less messy.


My Aunt always added cottage cheese to her scrambled eggs and I loved the flavor so I added a teaspoon of cottage cheese to mine. My husband thought I was strange but I liked it! However, I was sad when I finished my omelet because I forgot to get out the mushroom that I bought special for this. I think mushrooms make an omelet. Guess I'll have to make another one tonight!


Fourth: This is the fun part! Close the zipper and smoosh everything up. When that is done, unzip the top a little and work the air out.

Fifth: Drop the baggie into a large pot of boiling hot water. Cooking times can vary on how long to cook because of the number you put in your pot and how hot your water is. It took about 5 minutes to cook the one I did. I just kept touching it with my tongs and when it felt solid, I took it out and it was done. Another one I made kept floating too much and the center wasn't cooking so I just pushed it under the water and it cook right away. Remember, this is adventure-frizzle cooking so it's not exact but that is the fun it in!
NOTE: Ater I did this post, my son told me he turns the heat to medium and then covers the pot. That did help to cook the top of the omelet a little more evenly.


Sixth: When you feel it is done, remove from the pot with tongs.


Seventh: Unzip and if it looks ok, gently slide out of bag onto a plate. If it still looks a little runny, zip back up and put back in the water to cook a little longer.


Eighth: Slide out onto your plate, enjoy, and then go make another one!



Wishing you yummy breakfasts and Sunshine days!

-Debbie-

1 comment:

appetersen said...

Oh Debbie - you are amazing! This looks like something the grandkids would just love to do. I can't wait to try it. It looks delicious - and doesn't even LOOK boiled either...